Saturday, May 24, 2014

Blog resurrection and talking about Sketchbook Skool!


It's been over a year since I last posted. It's been a crazy year that I won't go into; mostly health stuff that I just plugging through.

I've settled into my new studio space; I pinch myself every morning. If I don't have the wherewithal to actually do any work I at least drink my tea in there.

But I've not been totally idle and done a few things: mostly studies and practice stuff. Working mostly in watercolor and pen.

I had the good fortune to discover Danny Gregory and Koosje Koene's Sketchbook Skool which has really gotten me back into working in my sketchbook/journal and enjoying it thoroughly. They've come up with a great idea for an inexpensive (I know that's relative :) ) online course with a bunch of wonderful teachers. 

What I've personally gotten out of it is getting out of the rut I was in and thinking I felt too yucky to draw or paint. I'd convinced myself I felt too sick to draw or do any artwork. (get over it already!) I don't have to be prolific: just draw a little everyday. And when I get out draw as often as I can. And usually, even if I'm feeling low, it will pull me out of it.

I still have a hard time drawing in public; due to an episode when I was in highschool when some guy came up to me and started giving me a hard time because I wouldn't show him my sketchbook contents. (I know: another get over it already!) But I am getting over it and reading the posts from all the other students dealing with the same shyness and insecurities has been a great help. 

I have to say that my fellow students in this class have been an inspiration on multiple levels; they are just the greatest group of people I've even been a part of. No arguments: no flaming (that I ever saw). Only encouragement, support and sharing their own fears. Some serious laughter as well. :)


Here is the link to my Flickr album for 2014... let me know if the link doesn't work.

The picture above is posted there and is from the last teacher (6 teachers in a 6 week semester) Tommy Kane who had us, very slowly with as much detail as possible and cross hatching... draw our kitchens.

You can see this in the upper left hand side in my streaming gallery right here on the blog too: including past work.

I still have some assignments to post and hopefully will update it as I work on other projects as the year enfolds. And on July 4th the second semester of Sketchbook Skool starts and I'll be reporting on that. I'm going to try week by week for the whole semester. 

Stay tuned. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment